Simple side-loading instructions for Kindle
- Find your KINDLE mail address:
- On the Amazon website, go to Fire & Kindle > Manage Your Content and Devices > Settings;
- Scroll down to Personal Document Settings;
- Find the list of Send-to-Kindle E-mail Settings (you should see all your Kindle devices, including phones and tablets with Kindle apps); and
- Make a note of the e-mail address for the device to which you wish to load the file.
- Add your REGULAR e-mail address to your list of approved senders:
- On the same page as above, scroll down to find the Approved Personal Document E-mail List;
- If the e-mail address you usually use to send e-mails is already on this list, you’ve done this before and can skip to step 3;
- If not, add it by clicking “Add a new approved e-mail address”.
- NOTE: if the e-mail address you’re sending the file from is not on this list, your Kindle device will reject it.
- Send the file:
- Open a new email from the REGULAR e-mail address you registered as an approved sender in step 2;
- In the “To” field, type the KINDLE mail address you identified in step 1;
- Attach the file. You do not need a subject or any text in the email body, just the attachment.
- Hit send.
- Be patient. It takes a few minutes, but the file should show up in your list of books.
You can also do it the old-fashioned way with a USB cable, if you prefer.