February Reading- Dirty Magic

Home Forums UF Book Club February Reading- Dirty Magic

This topic contains 4 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by  Melissa 2 years, 5 months ago.

• Author

Melissa B.

So! Have we delved into the city streets where magic addicts whither away and the police beat requires carrying a salt flare instead of stun gun?
    Thoughts?

What do we think about our protagonist? Kate Prospero is a very different character than Officer Kara Gillian! Thoughts? Do we like one better than the other?

Brett

Loved it. Loved how magic is a blatant metaphor for drugs. I love how addiction is portrayed in an urban fantasy world. It’s a very creative, inspired idea, and I would definitely like to read the following two novels to see where Wells takes it. The world-building is flawless; I felt I knew Prospero’s world within the first 50 pages. The police procedural was very well-researched.

Prospero is likeable. I didn’t read Blood of the Demon so I can’t compare the protags. I liked Morales and Volos, and Baba and LM. I hope they return, and some to become more of an integral part of the story.

Melissa Bleier

Brett-

I was really impressed with the world building as well! That is such a fine skill! And such a simple concept could have been taken down a really cheesy turn, loved the details.

Karmon

I’m late to post. I picked up the wrong Jaye Wells novel, and I had to finish it before starting Dirty Magic. This first book is a great foundation. We have key players with room to evolve and strong world building, as others have mentioned. I’m not sure about Kate yet; she is a little too rigid at the moment, but I hope to see her develop more layers. I found the pacing a little slow, which isn’t a surprise when Wells is set up a world. I hope for more action as the series progresses.

I plan on returning to Babylon to see what happens next.

Melissa

Hi Karmon!
    Glad you could make it! 😀
    Which Wells did you pick up and was it any good?

Be sure to come back and let us know what you thought of DM when you finish it up!

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.